Learning to Soar for Jesus

Learning to Soar for Jesus

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Down Comforter

Our itty bitty (yet somehow hefty) pup Zoey is quite the character. A troublemaker, really. She may come off as sweet and quiet (and she is most of the time), but too often she poops under the bed, makes off with my socks and underwear, and somehow becomes deaf whenever we go outside.

She's such a stinker. And, I'll admit, spoiled rotten.

Lately, she's developed this interesting new habit. Normally, she likes to snuggle against my back when I'm sleeping at night, but when I woke up one morning and couldn't find her, I began to panic that she had fallen off the bed.

Strangely, I noticed that our down comforter felt extra heavy.

Our little peanut had not just crawled under the covers...

She had buried herself inside the duvet at the foot of the bed. I'm not sure how she managed to get in there in the first place, but I had to unbutton it and literally drag her out of there.

Ever since, when it's time for bed, she dives head first under the covers. It seems to be the only way she can sleep. Of course, I'm afraid she's going to smother and frequently try to coax her back out so she can breathe.

But my efforts are in vain. There she is. Every morning. Still breathing. Buried in the comforter.

Days later, I had called my mother to talk to her on my way home from work, and I laughingly told her about Zoey's new favorite place to sleep (read: snore). She chuckled and then paused.

"That reminds me," she said. "I came across this verse today and I thought of you. It's a psalm that talks about 'singing under the shadow of his wings.'" She went on to explain that as I go through this difficult time in my life, He protects me like a baby bird under His wings. "Just like Zoey feels safe by hiding under the covers," she said, "you can hide yourself in Him."

I thought about that as I got home. And I laughed out loud as I truly made the connection. It makes perfect sense.

Zoey feels safe in the comforter.

Why do we seek comfort on a daily basis? We use medicine to comfort our aches. Comfort food to satisfy our hunger. Hugs to comfort our hurts.

We seek comfort to free ourselves from pain.

The Bible speaks often of the Lord being our Comforter. He can bring us comfort. He can free us from our pain.

And what's more, He can turn that pain into something beautiful.

In the time of David, a horrible plague swept through Israel as a punishment for his wrongdoing. As He saw how Israel hurt, the Lord had mercy on David and his people and removed their pain.

It is believed that Psalm 30 was written by David in response to the Lord's comfort:


1 I will exalt you, LORD,
for you lifted me out of the depths
and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
2 LORD my God, I called to you for help,
and you healed me.
3 You, LORD, brought me up from the realm of the dead;
you spared me from going down to the pit.

4 Sing the praises of the LORD, you his faithful people;
praise his holy name.
5 For his anger lasts only a moment,
but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.
6 When I felt secure, I said,
"I will never be shaken."

7 LORD, when you favored me,
you made my royal mountain stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
I was dismayed.
8 To you, LORD, I called;
to the Lord I cried for mercy:
9 "What is gained if I am silenced,
if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
10 Hear, LORD, and be merciful to me;
LORD, be my help."

11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
LORD my God, I will praise you forever.

Praise God, we don't have to hurt forever. He is good. He is faithful. Not only will He comfort your pain, He will redeem it.


Let Him fashion beauty from your ashes. Let Him turn your mourning into dancing. Your sorrow into joy.

It's been a long trip, my friend. You must be exhausted.

Come and rest.

Like Zoey, hide yourself in The Comforter.



No comments:

Post a Comment